The Sam Davis Home and Plantation is a historic treasure in Smyrna. It's set on 168 serene acres and features a Greek Revival home. It's also one of the top cultural and historic attractions in Middle Tennessee. Schools take many field trips there and families can visit just about any time for a tour. It takes about an hour and a half to see everything, too. While you enjoy the 2,500-square-foot museum at your leisure, guided tours lead you through the grounds, outbuildings and the historic Sam Davis home. However, there's a new way for toddler to explore all the fun, too. On the grounds, there are two historic homes, several outbuildings, slave quarters, the family cemetery and more than 100 of the Davis family's personal effects on display. This allows you to step back in time and get a true sense of 19th century life.
Littles ages 1 - 4 enjoy games, crafts, hikes, experiments, live animals and more with the new Toddler Tuesdays program on the last Tuesday of each month. The first one takes place April 30 and all are held from 10 - 11 a.m. During nice weather, pack a lunch and plan to stay and enjoy the grounds after the program. There's a different theme for each program:
- Follow the Bluebird Trail (April 30): Learn all about Bluebirds as you follow the historic home's new bluebird trail. Kids learn what bluebirds eat, what their eggs and nests look like and more.
- Fun in the Garden (May 28): Dress for mess as kids will explore the garden, plant a seed in the garden and plant one to take home. Activities and games make this a fun day of play in the dirt!
- Farm Friends (June 25): Meet farm friends, make a snack for the farm animals and enjoy crafts, games, photo ops and more.
- Honey Bees & Me (July 30): Take a look at the busy life of the honey bees on the farm.
- A Bugs Life (August 27): Learn all about bugs — where they live, what they eat and more.
- Sew Crafty (September 24): Patterns, matching, colors … this crafty day include “sew” much fun.
- Pumpkin Patch Party (October 29): Pick your own pumpkin from the pumpkin patch and enjoy pumpkin painting, games and snacks.
- Wigwams & Teepees (November 26): November is Native American Heritage month. Explore Native American culture through song, dance, crafts and games.
- Winter Wonderland (December 31): Find out what kind of animals hibernate in the winter. Make snow. Play games and so much more winter fun.
Cost is $5 per toddler (or participating sibling), parent/guardians are free.
Sam Davis Home
Sam Davis Home is open year-round, the site welcomes guests for tours at the top of every hour during business hours Mon - Sat (Jan. - May 10 a.m. - 4 p.m.; June - Aug. 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.; Sept. - Dec. 10 a.m. - 4 p.m.). It's located at 1399 Sam Davis Road, Smyrna. General admission is $15 ages 13 and older, $13 ages 65 and older, $10 ages 6 - 12 and college students with ID, free ages 5 and younger. Grounds tour only is $10 per person. Call 615-459-2341 or visit samdavishome.org to learn more.